Call with Tuck Alum

Yesterday, I had a call with a Tuck alum. I actually filled out the Tuck Connections (http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/connect/connections_form.html) form and the alum reached out to me the day after. I was very happy with the responsiveness! If you are interested in Tuck and want to speak with a current student or alum, I recommend filling out the form. I was interested in speaking with someone that was focused in general management and was in the Healthcare industry. The alum I spoke with was both. He currently works for a large Pharma company and graduated from Tuck in 2005. Here are some of the things we discussed:

Concentration
General Management/Marketing

Career Switch
Yes, his degree in undergrad was actually in History. I was glad to hear this because he was able to make the transition to the Healthcare field. My undergrad degree is Business Administration and I am currently in the Travel Procurement and Fleet Management fields so Healthcare will be a career switch for me.

Experience at Tuck
He was very enthusiastic about Tuck. He stressed the how it truly is a collaborative school and that everyone helps each other out. I went on to ask about some study abroad opportunities and he told me about the International Field Study. Essentially, you are assigned a project team and you work on a consulting project in another country. He actually worked on his project in Hungary and Romania. Sounded very interesting and is definitely something I would want to participate in!

Job Opportunities
I didn't go too in depth with him on this because the economy is a little different than when he graduated in 2005. However, he did say that when he was going through recruiting roughly 60% of the on-campus recruiting were for positions in New Jersey, New York, and Boston. The other 40% was scattered throughout the country.

We talked about a few other things and he encouraged me to keep in touch and we could talk again as it gets closer to applications. He said he would be glad to share advice on essays and my application. I thought that was great and I will definitely keep in touch with him!

2 comments:

JordyF said...

I was just wondering if you've looked into a Health Leadership MBA? From what I've seen of your blog it kind of seems like the type of degree you might be interested in.

A quick Google search reveals that Yale has something like that... there are likely more if you dig deeper. I know of them because I heard rumours that our B-School might be trying to get one off the ground... probably not in time for your goals though - still might want to check it out if you haven't already.

Dave M said...

I am looking at a lot of programs that have some type of Healthcare concentration. I am not absolutely set on a Healthcare company, but it is very intriguing to me. The strong general management program is most important to me.

Right now, if I would go the Healthcare route, Duke seems like it would be the best option because of the Health Sector Management Certificate.

Thanks for the advice about Yale. I will try to dig in and see what information I can find.

Post a Comment

Beat The GMAT - GMAT Forums, MBA Admissions Advice